Associated Research Projects
Diets of early hominins and more recent human groups; African archaeology; African palaeoclimates and environments; palaeoenvironmental shifts associated with archaic and modern humans; dispersals; stable isotope ecology.
Primary Geographic Areas of Interest
2011-2012 Boise Research Fund, Dietary ecology of Australopithecus afarensis from stable light isotope analysis of fossils from the Upper Laetoli Beds (PI).
2011-2012 John Fell Research Fund, Exploring strontium isotope distributions in tooth crown sequences of migratory and non-migratory fauna from Laetoli, Tanzania, (PI).
2011-2012 Leakey Foundation, Dietary ecology of Cross River gorillas from stable isotopes (PI).
2011-2012 British Academy, Ranging behaviour of Equus and Cervus from the Late Glacial site of Settecanelle (PI).
2010 John Fell Fund, funding for new mass spectrometer (PI)
Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovation, Spain, Life history strategies in sympatric primates – Co- Investigator.
Leverhulme Major Award. Evaluating hunter gatherer subsistence patterns - Co-Investigator.
NERC standard grant Building a better eggtimer? Co-Principal Investigator.
- Palaeoclimatic and palaeoenvironmental context of the origins of modern humans in South Africa (with Marean et al).
- The Wonderwek Project (Cl with Chazan, Horwitz et al)
- Palaeoenvironmental shifts in Lesotho (with Mitchell, Parker)
- Environments and isotopic ecology of the Upper Laetoli Beds: contributions to understanding the ecology of Australopithecus afarensis (with Musiba, Magori)
- Hominin ranging patterns in the Sterkfontein Valley based on strontium isotopes. (with Sponheimer et al)
- Paleoecology of Central African hominins in Chad (with Brunet et al)
- Reassessing the chronology, composition and climatic implications of three Neandertal and early modern human sites from France (with Morlin)
- Dietary seasonality and life history strategies in primates (with Macho et al).