Archives at the Institute
Current Project: HEIR - Historical Environment Image Resource
- Anglo-Saxon Buckets
Jean Mary Cook (1927 -2001)
- Anglo-Saxon Pottery
John Nowell Linton Myres (1902-1989)
- Archaeological Survey of Italy and Malta
Elise Jenny Baumgärtel (1892-1975)
- Celtic Coin Index
Derek Fortrose Allen (1910-1975) and Sheppard Sunderland Frere (1916- )
- Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Grave Goods
Sonia Chadwick Hawkes (1933-1999)
- Corpus of Bronze Age Implements of Europe
Charles Francis Christopher Hawkes (1905-1992)
- Crawford Photographs
Osbert Guy Stanhope Crawford (1886-1957)
- Finglesham Excavations
Sonia Chadwick Hawkes (1933-1999)
- Hillforts Index
Margaret Alwyn Cotton (1902-1984)
- Hillfort Study Group
Archives and collections belonging to the group
- Images of Archaeology
Collections of slides and negatives taken by various scholars.
- J.L. Myres Photographic Collection
John Linton Myres (1869-1954)
- Jacobsthal Archive
Paul Ferdinand Jacobsthal (1880-1957)
- Jope Archive
Martyn Jope (1915-1996)
Summary of Martyn Jope Archive
- Lantern Slide Teaching Collection
Many of the slides are unattributed. The catalogue indicates, however, that the collection incorporates slides from: Robin George Collingwood (1889-1943), Francis Llewellyn Griffith (1862-1934), Francis John Haverfield (1860-1919), David George Hogarth (1862-1927), Edward Thurlow Leeds (1877-1955), John Linton Myres (1869-1954) , Thomas Eric Peet (1882-1934), Margerie Venables Taylor (1881-1963), Henry Michael John Underhill (1855-1920). Some are also from commercial sets including a few from local (Henry Taunt, Oxford Optical Co., Frederick Charles Bird) and national (Newton & Co., Valentine & Sons and G. W. Wilson & Co.) photographic dealers.
- Photographic Albums
Albums assembled by John Henry Parker (1806-1884), George Claridge Druce (1850-1932), Francis John Haverfield (1860-1919), Cuthbert Hamilton Turner (1860-1930), Leonard Jasper Peck (1884-1961)
- Photographic Index of Romano-British Objects
Sheppard Sunderland Frere (1916 - )
- Piggott Archive
Stuart Piggott (1910-1996)
- Saraçhane Excavation
Martin Harrison (1935-1992 ) and John Hayes
- Georges Tchalenko Archives Project
- Underhill Collection
Henry Michael John Underhill (1855-1920)
- Beyond Hawkeseye: a pilot examination of Christopher Hawkes’ archive to examine British archaeology and its European context
Small Research Grant Principal Investigator: Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu. Funded by: British Academy
Co-investigator: Prof. Chris Gosden. Post-doctoral researcher: Dr Megan Price
Information for Visitors
- In order to visit the Institute of Archaeology's Archives, an appointment must be made in advance through the Archivist' with a hyperlink to the archivist's email - firstname.lastname@example.org stating academic or other appropriate affiliations and the purpose for which archives will be consulted. If the visit is for a commercial venture, an Institute Facility Fee may be charged.
- Archives may be viewed only during opening hours of the Institute depending on availability of staff. Researchers must sign the visitors' book.
- Pencils should be used when researching the documents. Personal computers may be used, though scanning equipment may not. Depending on the nature of the material, you may be asked to wear cotton gloves.
- Slips for research photocopies and photographs must be filled out prior to replication indicating the specific page(s) or image(s) and the total cost due. It is up to the discretion of the Archivist or the academic staff member responsible for the material how much of an archive may be replicated. Institute staff will carry out replication during the normal course of their duties and the material may not be available immediately. Payment must be made in advance.
- For publication of photographs, permission must be sought in writing indicating the nature of the publication: title of book or article, publisher, journal title, date of publication. If permission is granted, a fee may be levied and citation requirements stipulated. Permission is given for one time use only. The Institute requests that one copy of the resultant publication be submitted to the Institute Archive.
- Digital publication of archival material also requires permission from the Institute.
Institute Archivists: Dr Sally Crawford and Dr Katharina Ulmschneider
Telephone +44 (0)1865 278240 to leave a message with the receptionist.
Enquiries regarding the Celtic Coin Index:
Dr. John Sills, email@example.com
External Resource Links
The following are external links for Twitter, Facebook and our Wordpress Blog.