The Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art (part of the School of Archaeology) is dedicated to the development and application of scientific methods to the study of the past.
Head of Department: Professor Christopher Ramsey
Administrator: Diane Baker
RLAHA celebrates its 60th Anniversary
In the summer of 1955, the Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art, more affectionately known as “the Lab” came into being. This was the result of the meeting of two minds – Lord Cherwell, Professor of Experimental Philosophy in the Clarendon Laboratory, and Professor Christopher Hawkes, the University’s first Professor of European Archaeology, along with the energy, enthusiasm and dedication of Teddy Hall, supported at first by Stuart Young and then by Martin Aitken.
A lot has happened since then to the Lab, to Oxford and to academic archaeology and we are delighted to be celebrating a series of events on Thursday 10th December to mark the 60th Anniversary of the opening of the Research Laboratory with friends and colleagues, past and present. We are also taking this as an opportunity to develop our archive on the School and would invite anyone with any information (e.g. photos, letters etc.) relating to their time in the School that might be willing to contribute to get in touch. Please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about this or any of the above.
RLAHA was established in 1955, as a result of discussions between Professor Lindemann, Dr Lee’s Professor of Experimental Philosophy, and later to be Lord Cherwell, and Professor Christopher Hawkes, Professor of European Archaeology. The first Director, Teddy Hall, had by then just completed his DPhil in Physics. The first Deputy Director was Dr Stuart Young, shortly to be followed in 1957 by Martin Aitken.
The first volume of the journal Archaeometry (a word coined by Christopher Hawkes) was published in 1958, originally subtitled the ‘Bulletin of the Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art, Oxford University’, but including international contributions from volume 3 onwards. This is still published for Oxford University by Wiley-Blackwell. In 1962, Martin Aitken organized a day meeting for archaeologists who had purchased proton magnetometers, which became an annual meeting. The scope of the meetings broadened in 1969 to become the “Symposium on Archaeometry and Archaeological Prospection”, held in Oxford until 1975. In 1976, with the meeting in Edinburgh, it became the International Symposium on Archaeometry and Archaeological Prospection”, and in 1980 (Paris) the “International Symposium on Archaeometry”, which continues to this day as a bi-annual international conference.
Martin Aitken’s contribution to science was recognized by the award of a Fellowship of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1983, and Teddy Hall was awarded an Honorary FBA in 1984. Robert Hedges was awarded the Royal Medal of the Royal Society in 2008.