This degree offers a comprehensive guide to the richness and diversity of human cultural experience throughout space and time and is unique in the way it combines archaeology and anthropology throughout the course.
BA Archaeology & Anthropology students are able to:
- explore how humans evolved
- get to grips with major transformational processes in human history such as the development of farming, the emergence of towns, trading systems and the spread of world religions
- assess the relative importance of environmental, genetic and social factors in understanding patterns of human growth and nutrition
- learn why societies structure their families, economies and political systems in the ways that they do
- and investigate the purposes that art and other forms of material culture serve in the representation and reproduction of beliefs and ideologies
And as well as that, you’ll take part in an archaeological excavation, have the opportunity of participating in other archaeological or anthropological projects anywhere in the world and undertake your own original research.
If you are interested in the Classical Archaeology and Ancient History degree (CAAH) please refer to the Classics website
Our students benefit from:
- Specialist training in small groups - Oxford's tutorial system draws on a wealth of reserch and expertise from academics conducting pioneering research at the frontiers of academic scholarship.
- Outstanding library resources - as well as their college libraries, students can access the Bodleian, with its eleven million volumes, and the Sackler, Balfour and Tyler libraries for collections specific to archaeology, anthropology, classics and the ancient world.
- Extraordinary access to museum collections and laboratories - as well as artefact handling sessions at the Ashmolean Museum, the Museum of Natural History and the Pitt Rivers Museum, students also attend practical classes in the Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art.
- College living - Oxford's beautiful colleges provide affordable accomodation for at least two years of the course and act as a social hub with limitless extra-curricular opportunities.
The University of Oxford offers a superb quality of teaching, an unparalleled level of personal attention from tutors and lecturers, a wealth of extra-curricular activities and excellent career prospects.