The archives of the School of Archaeology tell the story of archaeology from the late 19th century onwards through the books, maps, plans, notes, pictures, photographs, drawings, letters, and paraphernalia of archaeologists. The archives have accumulated here more or less at random, sometimes given to the School for safe keeping, sometimes brought here because there was nowhere else for them to go, and sometimes rescued from destruction.

To find out more about the archives, visit the archives blog.

Visits to the archives are by appointment only. To request an appointment please email stating your academic or other appropriate affiliations and the purpose for which you wish to consult the archives.

Enquiries regarding the Celtic Coin Index email Dr. John Sills​​​​​​

List of Archives

  1. Anglo-Saxon Buckets
  2. Jean Mary Cook (1927 -2001)
  3. Anglo-Saxon Pottery 
    John Nowell Linton Myres (1902-1989)
  4. Archaeological Survey of Italy and Malta 
    Elise Jenny Baumgärtel (1892-1975)
  5. Celtic Coin Index 
    Derek Fortrose Allen (1910-1975) and Sheppard Sunderland Frere (1916- )
  6. Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Grave Goods 
    Sonia Chadwick Hawkes (1933-1999)
  7. Corpus of Bronze Age Implements of Europe 
    Charles Francis Christopher Hawkes (1905-1992)
  8. Crawford Photographs 
    Osbert Guy Stanhope Crawford (1886-1957)
  9. Finglesham Excavations
    Sonia Chadwick Hawkes (1933-1999)
  10. Hillforts Index 
    Margaret Alwyn Cotton (1902-1984)
  11. Hillfort Study Group
    Archives and collections belonging to the group
  12. Images of Archaeology 
    Collections of slides and negatives taken by various scholars.
  13. J.L. Myres Photographic Collection 
    John Linton Myres (1869-1954)
  14. Jacobsthal Archive
    Paul Ferdinand Jacobsthal (1880-1957)
    Database of Jacobsthal Archive
  15. Jope Archive
    Martyn Jope (1915-1996)
    Summary of Martyn Jope Archive
  16. Lantern Slide Teaching Collection 
    Many of the slides are unattributed. The catalogue indicates, however, that the collection incorporates slides from: Robin George Collingwood (1889-1943), Francis Llewellyn Griffith (1862-1934), Francis John Haverfield (1860-1919), David George Hogarth (1862-1927), Edward Thurlow Leeds (1877-1955), John Linton Myres (1869-1954) , Thomas Eric Peet (1882-1934), Margerie Venables Taylor (1881-1963), Henry Michael John Underhill (1855-1920). Some are also from commercial sets including a few from local (Henry Taunt, Oxford Optical Co., Frederick Charles Bird) and national (Newton [&] Co., Valentine [&] Sons and G. W. Wilson [&] Co.) photographic dealers.
  17. Photographic Albums 
    Albums assembled by John Henry Parker (1806-1884), George Claridge Druce (1850-1932), Francis John Haverfield (1860-1919), Cuthbert Hamilton Turner (1860-1930), Leonard Jasper Peck (1884-1961)
  18. Photographic Index of Romano-British Objects 
    Sheppard Sunderland Frere (1916 - 2015)
  19. Piggott Archive
    Stuart Piggott (1910-1996)
  20. Saraçhane Excavation
    Martin Harrison (1935-1992 ) and John Hayes
  21. Georges Tchalenko Archives Project
    Georges Tchalenko
  22. Underhill Collection 
    Henry Michael John Underhill (1855-1920)
  23. Beyond Hawkeseye: a pilot examination of Christopher Hawkes’ archive to examine British archaeology and its European context
    Small Research Grant Principal Investigator: Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu. Funded by: British Academy
    Co-investigator: Prof. Chris Gosden. Post-doctoral researcher: Dr Megan Price

Information for Visitors

  1. In order to visit the Institute of Archaeology's Archives, an appointment must be made in advance by email stating academic or other appropriate affiliations and the purpose for which archives will be consulted. If the visit is for a commercial venture, an Institute Facility Fee may be charged.
  2. Archives may be viewed only during opening hours of the Institute depending on availability of staff. Researchers must sign the visitors' book.
  3. Pencils should be used when researching the documents. Personal computers may be used, though scanning equipment may not. Depending on the nature of the material, you may be asked to wear cotton gloves.
  4. Slips for research photocopies and photographs must be filled out prior to replication indicating the specific page(s) or image(s) and the total cost due. It is up to the discretion of the Archivist or the academic staff member responsible for the material how much of an archive may be replicated. Institute staff will carry out replication during the normal course of their duties and the material may not be available immediately. Payment must be made in advance.
  5. For publication of photographs, permission must be sought in writing indicating the nature of the publication: title of book or article, publisher, journal title, date of publication. If permission is granted, a fee may be levied and citation requirements stipulated. Permission is given for one time use only. The Institute requests that one copy of the resultant publication be submitted to the Institute Archive.
  6. Digital publication of archival material also requires permission from the Institute.